First settled around 1784, Bath is one of the oldest communities in Ontario and owes its existence to the United Empire Loyalists.
Originally named Ernesttown, after Prince Ernest Augustus, the 8th child of King George III of the house of Hanover, the ruling British Monarch at the time. Naming townships after distinguished royalty was a common practice.
The village was renamed Bath after a city in England, through petition, in 1818 to the Provincial Government and incorporated as a municipality in the Lennox, Addington and Frontenac in 1859. It remained its own municipality until 1998 when it was amalgamated with Amherst Island and Ernestown to form Loyalist Township.
Every effort has been made to ensure the information we have compiled is correct; however, it is possible errors may have crept into the works. If so, please beg our pardon, and let us know.